Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Disappointment or Acceptance





Disappointment or Acceptance
When God Tells Us No.

There have been times in my life that I’ve wondered why God has allowed so much disappointment in my life. From the time I was a child it seems as if negative things have occurred more than positive things. However, I must say that the positive things are bigger than the negative things. I find myself looking back at my life and wondering what it stands for anymore. How did I get to where I am in such a short period of time? I remember a lot of first in my life. Some were great; some were not so great. I did things I am still ashamed of, even though I know God has forgiven me, but I have also accomplished things that make me feel good. Does this sound a lot like your life? It should.
Most of us have a lot of good and bad things in our lives; don’t we? I can remember being told that these are the things that build character in us. Some of us have a very good character and some of us have a not so good character. If you really look in at a person’s life, you may be able to find out why people do things.
In 1 Chronicles17, we find that Nathan tells David, “Do all that is in thine heart; for God is with thee,” after David told him of his plans of building a house for God. Nathan thought it was a grand idea and encouraged David to do it, because it would honor God. It is great to be encouraged. We live in a world of discouragement; one that tells us negative things at all times. Even things that seem positive, by world’s standards, usually turn out negative. This is simply because the world is deceptive. The earth is the stomping ground of Satan, and he is always negative. We need to be able to discern the spirits as a child of God. However, we aren’t always capable of doing that, because we are so focused upon situations more often than not.
David was celebrating and giving thanks unto the Lord in 1 Chronicles 16. Nathan had encouraged David, but the Lord had plans that must have really disappointed David at some point. The Lord told Nathan to tell David, “Thou shalt not build me an house to dwell in:” He could have taken this situation and really said, “I’m going to do it anyway,” or he could have asked why not. After all, it was a great idea; provided that it would honor God. There is no reason to believe that David’s idea was to honor God with the temple. However, God said no.
There have been times in my life that I have wanted to do things that I believed would honor and glorify God. However, God told me no. Was I disappointed? Sure, I was disappointed and just couldn’t understand why God would say no. After all, it was suppose to honor and glorify him anyway. When we get our hearts set on something, sometimes we want to say, “Lord, please allow me to do this,” and when he gives us a ‘no’ answer then we get very disappointed and even get to the point of feeling like God has turned HIS back on us. Case and point;

WHEN WE LOOSE FOCUS ON GOD’S WILL WE OPEN THE DOOR TO SATAN

We need to realize that God is always in total control of everything. I have had problems with this, just like many who may read this. The first thing that happens is that Satan reminds us, ‘you gave your life to a God who doesn’t really care.’ This of course is an outrageous lie. He does care, but it’s just not HIS will, at this point. Solomon reminds us of that. In Ecclesiates 3:1, Solomon wrote, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven;” It’s hard to imagine this at times, but there is a reason for every thing and to every purpose. We can’t possibly understand it all, but God knows what needs to be done. So keep the focus on things of God. I have to remind myself of this daily, and God uses people in my life to help me keep focused of HIS will. David could have taken what the Lord had told him negatively, but we see that he didn’t. He praised God anyway. Case and pint;

GIVE GOD ALL THE PRAISE AND HONOR FOR EVERYTHING

Reactions to what God’s tells us are often mixed reviews. When he tells us no we will often times be very disappointed, but we should praise him anyway. David did just that. The Lord told David, “You not going to build my house, but your son will.” He also told him, “I will establish his kingdom forever.” HE was telling David, ‘the kingdom will be in your bloodline forever.’ David began to pray and honor and glorify the Lord for this decision. David asked the Lord, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is mine house, that thou hast brought me hitherto? We need to realize that we are nothing without HIM. HE is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. HE is the First and the Last. Without HIM, man is nothing. David saw what the Lord wanted and he thanked the Lord for it. David saw that the Lord had a greater purpose for this decision. Case and point;

NEGATIVE THINGS IS OUR EYES ARE ONLY NEGATIVE TO US

David did not take it negatively. God promised him that his throne would be established forever (vs. 12). If you look in the blood line of David, it ends with Christ. That’s right; HIS throne was and is established forever. HE was the total focus of this decision. David saw the positive side of this and thanked God for it. He allowed what could have been negative to be positive.
I have to constantly remind myself that things, which seem negative at the time, may have a positive ending. Grant it; it almost always does. However, Satan is an adversary that will not allow things to settle down. It is, therefore, a total conclusion to do what Paul has instructed Christians to do. He said, “In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus, concerning you”. So, the next time God says no to you, don’t let Satan beat you up, just thank God for it. There is a better end in sight.
Lord, thank you for loving us and for being the ideal leader of our lives. Thank you for loving us and giving us directions. Help us, Lord, to understand the full meaning of everything you may say no too. Help us to see your purpose in our lives and the purpose you may have for each one of us. Thank you Lord for answering this prayer. Amen.

No comments: