Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Following Jesus

Following Jesus
A Choice for Man and Churches
John 12:26

In preparation for Vacation Bible School there are bulletins that are issued that has the VBS theme on them. When I got my copy the scripture underneath the picture read, “If any man serve me, let him follow me.” This scripture is found in John 12:26. The Lord immediately had my attention. Bro. Dale preached the message, but I couldn’t get this verse off my heart and mind.
I shared this with several people, and on more than one occasion I was asked, “Are you ready to follow Him? I believe it is the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir that sings a song entitled “Daystar,” which is one of my favorite songs. On the chorus the song sings, “Lead me Lord I’ll follow, anywhere you open up the door. Let me know your wisdom, show me things I’ve never seen before. Lord I want to be your witness; You can take what’s wrong and make it right. Daystar shine down on me; let your love shine down through me in the night.” Most hymn books has the song in it that we love to sing that sings, ‘follow…follow, I will follow Jesus, anywhere, everywhere, I will follow on.’ The amazing thing is that it is easier said by the mouth than it is done.
Jesus told the disciples on the night He was praying in the garden, “the heart indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41. This has been man’s calling card from the very beginning. We are like Peter. We are bold at times, and hiding at other times. We say we are willing to follow until God puts the challenge up to us. Then we find one of those excuses we have in the bag.
Jesus was willing to die for us on the cross, and we say we are willing to serve Him. To serve Him we must follow Him with boldness. That will go against all traditional beliefs we might have concerning the church, against all opinions we have, and against to doubts that Satan puts up against us. When we as churches follow Christ, we should do it boldly. That means that we make stands when others are not making stands that please God.
So, what’s the lesson we learn here? The lesson I’ve learned for myself is that maybe I’m not serving God the way I’m suppose too. How do I come to that conclusion? I’ll answer that question with the same question you may be answering it with. Am I really willing to follow HIM wherever he leads me, with a willing heart? This is a choice we have as people and churches. However, the true answer should be, yes Lord, here am I, send me. Then when He does send you; go! Thank you Lord for speaking to my heart.

No comments: