Thursday, August 06, 2009

Thought of the Day - Life in the Fast Lane


Why Are We Bothered With Troubles? (1)
Life in the Fast Lane
2 Timothy 3:1 – 7

I’m not one that listens to the radio in my truck a whole lot. Unless there is a good football game on, news I want to hear, etc. I love to hear preaching and Christian music too. However, my wife would vouch that most of the time I don’t even listen to the radio in the truck. However, today I was listening to our local radio, and as soon as the program was over there was a country song that came on that I listened to the lyrics on. I really don’t know what the name of it is, since I very seldom listen to that type of music, and I couldn’t tell you who the artist is that sings it. But, if I had to guess at the title of the song, it would be, “That’s life.”
In that song there is a story of a wife calling her husband’s best friend for help. She told him that he had gone off the deep end and she needed help. He finds his friend, who was at a bar, and he begins talking about how he was struggling, not getting enough hours at the job to pay the bills, how he had a wife with three kids that were depending on him and also may have another one on the way. He was feeling really sorry for himself and his friend told him, “That’s life.” The song was so true for a world that is going in the wrong direction today.
This once great nation is in despair! Everyone wants to point fingers at someone else. Our politicians don’t want to acknowledge that they were the main culprit in our nation being in a huge bind. They are too proud to say, “You know, we just flat messed up.” On top of this, there is nobody who is safe any longer in this county, must less the world. Paul told Timothy this would happen in the last days. 1st Timothy 3:1 – 7 outlines, to me, a whole lot of what is going on in our nation today. Of course the whole world is experiencing these problems. Paul said, “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.” We are in a very dangerous world! People kill people for almost anything today. Our nation is in trouble because we have our own agenda and, most of the time, it doesn’t fit the way God leads us or wants us to go. Solomon put it simple in Proverbs 14:12, “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” David added a verse in Psalm 118:8, “It is better to trust in the Lord, than to put confidence in man”. So if they were combined in the verse you could say, There is a way which seemeth right unto man, but it is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. However, this world chooses, more often than not, to put more confidence in man and less trust in the Lord. This combination in itself is the beginning of perilous times and troubles. The Lord simply calls it SIN.
Paul gets into the many things that are key factors of these perilous times. I hope to look at these points a little closer as I study them out. We, as Christians, and as a nation need to get back to the basics of life. These basics start off in one simple direction. That is why the Lord told us what He did in 2 Chronicles 7:14. The Lord said, “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” The whole world needs to focus on God’s will. He is the answer to solving troubles and problems. If we follow these simple directions, we will go a long way in solving troubles and problems.

No comments: