Thursday, July 31, 2008

Your Heart's Trust


Your Heart’s Trust
A Tool to Use
Psalm 28:7

I was recently asked to pray with a lady who was broken hearted. I did not ask any questions, but when I was asked to pray with her and another group of people, I could tell she was really in pain. God knows her pain, and His will be done. Now I can imagine that everyone, at one time or another has their heart broken. We can relate to the loneliness that it brings, and even though people pray with you, it is like you are totally alone in the situation. I can remember the last time I was totally heart broke. I did not have anyone to talk too. My mom was on her death bed, not knowing anyone. My brother had bigger issues than mine to deal with, and I had no family to talk too. It was almost like when you approached people they would try to avoid talking, because they didn’t know what to say. I tried to talk to a couple of good friends, but I found that they had no words for me that gave me comfort, and in turn it made them feel bad. It really is a sad situation to be in.
David wrote, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; may heart trusted in HIM, and I am helped: there fore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise HIM.” In this Psalm, David is praying against his enemies. I find it real interesting at how he starts his prayer. “Unto Thee will I cry, O Lord my rock:” What a powerful statement this is. We are real quick to say that the Lord is all powerful, which HE is, but David seems to have a real understanding of it. How many times have we wished we could hear God’s answer verbally? David says, ‘be not silent to me: lest, if Thou be silent to me I become like them that go down into the pit. Hear my voice of my supplications, when I cry unto Thee” This is one of the greatest requests that I’ve read in God’s Word. He’s saying, “Lord, I need you to hear me and tell me what to do.”
If you read the whole 28th Psalm, you will find that David is addressing a need to the Lord for relief of a burden. Then in the end, David acknowledges that he can do nothing without the Lord. Wow! So what can I learn from this? We see that David continues “Blessed be the Lord, because HE hath heard the voice of my supplications,” verse 6. The burden David had is for the Lord’s protection against the enemies and for the protection of his people. As the King of Israel, he took his job very seriously and I believe he really loved these people.
The burdens we bear at times seem to almost totally unbearable. Heartaches seem to come more often than not. This world causes us to struggle with decisions we have to make. Sometimes decisions are totally out of our hands, but we have to bear the brunt of the force, so to speak. This is why Jesus said, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Mat 11:28 – 30). The burdens that David had were tuff, but I tell you now, he knew who could handle it. This leads him to say, “my heart trusted in HIM, and I am helped”
Trusting in the Lord is the key to a happy life. When people talk about trusting in God, it is general referred to as accepting Jesus as Personal Savior. However, and I do agree that we must trust in the Lord to be saved, this is not the trust that David speaks about. Sometimes, when I really desire something, I try trusting in everything, everyone, or even myself to obtain it; when I should requested the Lord to show my heart what I needed to do, or allow happen. To me, listening to your heart is only good when you know its God speaking from it. We know that the heart is exceedingly wicked, but as a child of the King, you know when HE speaks through it. David was saying in laymen’s terms, “You know what, I gave it to you and I know you’re going to handle it. I am helped.” He worked his faith to the point that he said, “God you have a problem; I’m going to bed.”
It doesn’t matter what kind of problems we have at times, we need to realize that as a child of the king your heart trusted in HIM and HE will always help. Cast all your cares, your worries, your heartaches, and your fears upon HIM, and He will be your help. Remember; He is our strength, and without HIM nothing can be done. The key to that is allowing HIM to handle it.

No comments: